Wednesday, February 17, 2016

EULOGY FOR TERRY BOURKE (Pinaroo Crematorium Chapel, 18/2/2016 at 2.pm)

My dear friend and neighbor Terry James Bourke, you will not be forgotten. Your love of a bygone era was music to my soul and took me back to a past life that only kindred spirits understand... Thank you for reminding me of a time when life seemed more carefree and simpler, a time when music had a story that took you to a better place even if it was song about the blues...You loved the 20's and 30's and 40's, the past in general and you were an old soul who yearned for another era.. How I loved your retro art deco bygone era home....it was like stepping into another time...I always felt that you were an old soul and I thought of the 1920's and 30's when I was around you. You had that old fashioned way about you, refined and well spoken. You were a gentlemen who I could easily picture in a stetson hat and a pin striped suit, opening the car door for me before we drove off to some speak easy bar selling sly grog with jazz playing in the background. This was your era and I am sure it resonated with you from a past life..

Terry Bourke you were a beautiful but troubled soul who has left us too soon. I know you wanted to stay but you were called to go to that other place where peace awaits. A place far away from your troubles and pain..I know life was starting to get tough again and I just know your in a better place looking down on us all saying it's Ok.. You have left so much of youself with us, your in our memories, your art and the music you left behind. A gift for all of us here and for those who come along in the future times. I will miss hearing you play your piano on the weekends and not having it beautifully permeating the air and travelling through the car park to my window. It was the sound of a time gone by, when so many houses emitted this haunting tone while people played to relax them from their days. It really warmed my heart to wander out to the garden or potter around the house with the tinkling of the piano in the background...

Your music will be floating into space forever, every sound from earth leaves the planet and continues into the universe for eternity, and that is a fact....... I only recently found out that you were only taught the organ as a child, what a talent to have no formal piano training and teach yourself ... No training   required with a gifted musician such as yourself and I don't think I ever saw you use sheet music...Thank you for these gifts for all future generations to discover on the internet via youtube... The life of a creative artist can be difficult and sometimes your life left you struggling, but struggle no more Terry and play on while you fly to the stars...

There was never a time that we saw each other that you didn't say how much you loved me singing the song "IF"... and you proudly told me how you had added it to your google account and wrote how much you loved it.. I promise I will do as you wanted me to do and get back into my singing.. Fly free now hon and forget about the pain and suffering. Thank you again for the CD of you playing the piano, your debut album, "Hippo Beautiful".  I am so grateful that I will have it on those days when I again want to here your beautiful Piano playing in the background of my day...Rest In Peace Terry Bourke..xxx

No comments: